Saturday, March 30, 2013

'Hare' Care Week; Keep your chocolate stash safe this Easter


We've all been sneaking a few early bits of chocolate this Easter, which, of course, is ok in moderation for us hoomans. But it is definitely not ok for our furry friends, even if Sir Flufflington the Third gives you those puppy dog eyes begging for one little bite.

Chocolate contains cocoa and cocoa contains the compound Theobromine. Although most people only hear about chocolate being toxic to dogs, it is also toxic to cats and smaller animals, even our fluffy friend the Easter Bunny. The level of toxicity is dose-related, so depending on the size of the animal and the amount eaten it can effect them in different ways.

The symptoms of poisoning may include restlessness, excitement, hyperactivity, nervousness, trembling, vomiting, diarrhoea; increased drinking and increased urination; increased heart rate, muscle tremors, seizures and possibly death.

If your dog or pet has ingested chocolate (even a small amount) you should contact your local veterinarian as soon as possible for advice. Vets can usually treat chocolate poisoning by inducing vomiting and with supportive therapy in hospital but it is important to seek veterinary attention quickly. 

It is important not to give your pets any chocolate and to ensure they cannot accidentally access your chocolate stash, during Easter and at all times.

Read more about Theobromine on our knowledge base here.

No comments:

Post a Comment