Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Dogs and decibels don't mix




RSPCA NSW is reminding animal owners to keep their pets safe during New Year’s Eve fireworks tonight. Fireworks typically explode at a staggering 145-150 decibels, but to animals such as dogs, who have hearing ten times as sensitive as humans, these explosions can be terrifyingly loud and distressing.

With many animals having a fear of fireworks, they often injure themselves trying to escape the noise. In a frantic bid to flee, dogs often jump or dig under fences and find their way onto busy roads and highways and can be struck by vehicles and fatally injured.

If you can, it’s best to stay home with your pet and provide them with a comfortable environment and engage them in normal activities.  If you won’t be home, make sure your pets are safe, secure and comfortable; bring them indoors, if possible.

Here are RSPCA NSW’s five simple steps to minimise fireworks stress in pets:

  • Ensure your pets are exercised and well-fed before fireworks commence.
  • Keep your animals indoors in a safe and comfortable environment.
  • Leave the TV or radio on to mask out the sound of fireworks.
  • Wherever your pet may be, remove any sharp objects that might cause injury to a panicking animal.
  • If your pet is particularly prone to fireworks panic, stay at home with them.

Always make sure your pets are wearing ID tags and their microchip details are up-to-date in case they do flee the noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment