Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Festive foods far from pet friendly


On Christmas eve, RSPCA NSW is reminding pet owners around the state of the perils of festive foods for animals with common Christmas fare among some of the most dangerous for pets to consume.

“Pet owners could find themselves spending Christmas at a veterinary emergency hospital if their animal overindulges in festive foods,” said RSPCA NSW Chief Veterinarian Dr Magdoline Awad.

“Don’t share human food and drinks with your pets at Christmas, as what may not affect you may be toxic to your pet,” Dr Awad added.

Festive foods to avoid feeding your pets:

  • Pork/ham can cause pancreatitis, intense pain and shock.
  • Chocolate can cause vomiting, diarrhoea  and seizures in dogs.
  • Macadamia nuts can cause severe abdominal pain, increased heart rate and inability to walk.
  • A fruit cake's raisins, currants and grapes are toxic to dogs' kidneys and can make them lethargic, and cause vomiting and increased thirst. Fruit cakes also often contains alcohol which can also be toxic.
  • Alcohol can cause intoxication, lack of coordination, poor breathing and even coma and/or death in pets.
  • Onions can cause red blood cells to burst, leading to anaemia.
  • Avocado can cause diarrhoea, vomiting, and heart congestion in dogs.
  • Coffee can be fatal to dogs, causing vomiting and seizures.
  • Paracetamol can be fatal to pets, especially cats. 
  • Xylitol, a common ingredient in sugarless gum, is poisonous to dogs and can cause weakness, lethargy, vomiting, seizures and liver failure.

Handbags can be a big danger for pets as many contain sugarless gum, pain medication and antidepressants. 

All recreational drugs should also be kept out of reach of pets.

You can purchase a variety of pet-friendly food and Christmas treats including festive biscuits at RSPCA NSW partner organisation Petbarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment