Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Festive Foods: NOT Pet Friendly!

RSPCA reminds pet owners of the dangers of festive treats

With Christmas just around the corner, RSPCA NSW is reminding pet owners the perils of festive foods for animals, with common Christmas foods among some of the most dangerous for pets to consume.

“Pet owners could find themselves spending Christmas at an veterinary emergency hospital if their animal overindulges or is exposed to some festive foods,” said RSPCA NSW Chief Veterinarian Dr Magdoline Awad.  “Don’t share human food and drinks with your pets at Christmas, as what may not affect you, may be toxic to your pet,” Dr Awad added.
  
Festive foods to avoid feeding your pets include:
  • Pork/ham —can cause pancreatitis, intense pain and shock
  • Chocolate —can cause vomiting, diarrhoea  and seizures in dogs
  • Macadamia nuts — can cause severe abdominal pain, increased heart rate and inability to walk
  • Fruit cake — for dogs, raisins, currants and grapes are toxic to the kidneys and can make them lethargic, and cause vomiting and increased thirst. Fruit cakes often contain alcohol which can also be toxic
  • Alcohol — can cause intoxication, lack of coordination, poor breathing and even coma and/or death in pets
  • Onions —can cause red blood cells to burst, leading to anaemia
  • Avocado —can cause diarrhoea, vomiting, and heart congestion in dogs
  • Coffee — can be fatal to dogs, causing vomiting and seizures
  • Paracetamol — can be fatal to pets, especially cats
  • Xylitol — this is a common ingredient in sugarless gum and  is poisonous to dogs and can cause weakness, lethargy, vomiting, seizures and liver failure  Handbag contents can be a big danger for pets as many contain sugarless gum and pain medication. All recreational drugs should also be kept out of reach of pets.
Keep your pet safe this Christmas by keeping festive foods out of reach, and provide pet-friendly treats instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment